Making the Wedding Cake

Wedding Cake! 
Chanelle let me know about a week before that they were planning on getting married on Thursday the 19th. I didn't know much about their plans as they were keeping things very simple. 
On Wednesday, yes the day before the ceremony, Chanelle asked if it would be ok for everyone to come to the house after the ceremony. Of course! 

Wait, what? 24 hours to get ready for a wedding reception? Ahhhhhh!!

I had to work until 5:30 and now I have the evening to prepare. Gonna be a late night. 

I was so incredibly happy to be a part of the celebration, I quickly got wheels in motion. 
What will we eat? Chanelle was ok with just stopping by the store for some food as we come back from the ceremony, but that's not really how I roll. So, I confirmed that they wanted to grill burgers and I picked up everything needed for burgers, potato salad, pasta salad and now to concentrate on the cake! 

I asked about their mutual favorite flavor. It is vanilla. 
Gave her options for filling: Fresh strawberries, lemon, or just buttercream. She chose lemon. 

So, I'm making a vanilla wedding cake, filled with lemon buttercream, lemon curd and frosted with cream cheese frosting! 


I have a great buttermilk vanilla cake recipe and first made enough for two 8" rounds. 

They turned out awesome. 

Time to make some cream cheese frosting. 
I also made some lemon buttercream and fresh lemon curd. 

I torte split the layers and layered them with lemon buttercream and lemon curd between each layer. 

Crumb coated with cream cheese frosting. 

In the fridge you go. Once it set up a bit, I put it in a box to chill overnight. 

Then I decided that just an 8" layer cake wasn't going to be enough. So I also baked two 6" cakes and this is them after they are cut and cooling. 

I know that nature is something they both connect with. I ran to Michael's and was hoping for some inspiration of something that would remind me of Muir Woods, their favorite location. 
I couldn't find anything woodsy, but did come away with a few things that at least gave a sense of nature. Flowers and a few grapevine wreaths. I'll disassemble them and see what I can come up with. 

A cake topper of flowers and a grapevine heart. 

Both cakes are cut, filled and crumb coated. 
Once they are chilled, I stack them to check out the height. I think the extra tier was the right call. 

Up at 5am to frost. This will be the top layer. Keeping it rustic. 

Ready for a quick assembly once we return from the ceremony. 
Still not exactly sure what I'll be doing, but I'll wing it and see how it goes. 

The ceremony was so intimate and beautiful. I was so honored to be able to attend and see these two beautiful people wed. I know they will have a wonderful life together. 

Now back home and on to cake assembly!

I stacked the tiers and put the grapevines around each tier. I really like it like this. Will the flowers be too much? I asked Chanelle to make the final call and she said she wanted the flowers. 

Once you place flowers down into the cake, there is no going back. Here we go! 

That was the right call. It turned out great! 

We are all ready for a toast and cake cutting ceremony. 

I can't believe it all came out. 
24 hours is apparently plenty of time to plan a party and bake a wedding cake. 


The ceremonial piece. Will they smash cake or just take a bite?

They kept it very simple and just took a bite. 

And a sweet kiss. 

The inside. 

I'm so honored to have been a part of such a wonderful celebration. 

Comments