Den remodel - Paint, windows and tile

Den Remodel

I don't know if I can really call this a den or a guest room, but it's technically a bedroom without a closet. We used to used it as a place for the teens to hang out and watch tv or play xbox, but now they are mostly on PC in Michael's bedrooms. So now it's used more as a guest room since this is a sofabed. 

As I am continuing to refresh and renew my house, I am moving on tot he next stage. 
This stage is all the flooring in the back half of the house and the master bathroom. 
Other than two exterior sliding doors, this is the last major renovation, whew! 


I've repainted all the major rooms in the house from a orange tan color on the right (Kelly Moore Wise Owl), which I loved when I chose it, but now not so much, to a soothing gray color on the left (Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter - 50% lighter). I have a couple of small areas still to paint, but those will happen during the bathroom remodel. 

This is the den after the new paint, but before the flooring. I've also replaced the window coverings with 2" top down/bottom up Bali cellular shades. 

I tore out the carpet in strips, which was pretty easy, but the tac strip in concrete, that is tedious and takes time to remove. There is also a technique to it so you don't pop out a bit divot of concrete. I'm a pro at it now! 

All cleaned up and ready to go. 
  
Tile selection is kind of painful, but I finally found everything I needed from Floor & Decor. This is was 4,000 pounds of tile looks like! 

Measuring the floor and checking to make sure it is all level. 

This is the underlayment - elastomeric barrier. It provides some waterproofing as well as keeping the tile from cracking as it provides a space between the tile and the concrete. They applied a couple of coats. 

 Applying a second coat of the underlayment. 

This is a cool tile cutter. Score and snap! Sure keeps the dust to a minimum. 

And it begins! The first piece of tile has been laid. Let the transformation begin! 

 And row by row, it's going in. 

Now it needs time to dry. They will be back tomorrow for grout.

This is the tile the I chose. The color for the floor tiles is bleached wood. 

 What a difference grout makes! 
Now I just need to spend a little time wiping off the haze over the next day or so. 

I waited 48 hours and applied a sealer to all the grout. 
Used a squeeze bottle and a toothbrush to only get it on the grout. Applied 2 coats since we are getting a puppy and she will reside in this room. 
What a piece of cake when you have the right tools! 

And here it is, the finished room. I can hardly wait now for the rest of the house to have tile. Really brightens up the room and will be so much more durable than the tan carpet. 
For anyone interested - My tile setter is Andrew Walthoff 916-308-1939

Comments