Havapoo PUPPIES Coming Soon


Havapoo PUPPIES Coming Soon

PopTart and Waffles are checking in on Nickers' puppies with Mary Lisa's daughter. 
They are raised on the Sunny Day Puppies farm in Patriot, Ohio. 
The story of our soon-to-be new addition. (now=additions!)
We are getting TWO! Originally, we were just waiting to see which would be pregnant first so we could get one from that litter. We then decided to go ahead and get one puppy from each litter! YIKES! 
Because of how they have become pregnant staggered by 3 months, this will be great timing to bond with one before the other arrives. Are we crazy? MAYBE! We will be having fun either way and we know that these puppies will love having a sibling to enjoy, especially when home alone while I go to work. 

For the last 20 years I have had a dog in my life. At times, I have had two, but it usually seems to work best with just one. Chanelle and I had Lizzy, which we rescued from a shelter in San Francisco. She was an awesome dog. We had her until her life ended in 2007. We did rescue another dog Pepper, a Pomeranian, but he wasn't quite a match for our family. We took the time and found him an awesome home. I looked and looked and came across the Coton de Tulear breed and was hooked. We found a local breeder and voila, we had a new addition! 

This is Bella, our Coton de Tulear. We had her for 12 years. She was an amazing dog. Super sweet and loving and just wanted to be on the couch right next to you. 
She began exhibiting behavior that made me feel like we weren't able to dedicate enough time to her and we found someone ( a retired hospice nurse) who welcomed her into her life. We were unaware at the time that her end of life was not far away as she had some heart issues that had developed.Had I known it at the time, we would have kept her, but when we adopted her out, she seemed to be spunky and healthy as can be.

It's been a year and I've missed her and I've missed having a dog in our life. I decided in April that it was time to welcome a new puppy into our home. I had been pretty adamant with Michael that I wasn't going to get another dog, so when I broke the news to him, he was beyond excited! He hugged me and may have shed a tear or joy. He REALLY wanted a dog and when I really evaluated things, I did too. 

I did lots of research on breeds that would be good in the house, but also able to go out and hike or kayak too. I went through dozens of different breeds of dogs that are about 20 pounds and kept coming back to the Havapoo. This is the combination of a Havanese and a poodle. The size of the havapoo vary quite a bit depending on the size of the poodle it is mixed with. They can be all of 2 pounds when bred with a toy poodle or the larger size when bred with a moyen/klein poodle. I haven't seen a Havanese/standard poodle mix, so not sure if they do that. We chose the Havanese/Moyen poodle size and all signals kept taking us to Sunny Day Puppies in Patriot Ohio. Mary Lisa Carter is the breeder and I have read one amazing review after another. I felt very comfortable in my decision and went ahead and put a deposit down on a puppy. Once you pay your deposit you can put your name on two lists. I chose sisters PopTart and Nickers. 
“SDP Pop Tart"
AKC#PR21441905 ; CKC#PD-05164506
Moyen / Klein Chocolate Merle Tuxedo Poodle
25 pounds ; 16 inches

PopTart with her first litter of puppies. You can see that several of the puppies have the Merle coloring. We are hoping for one of these unique puppies. Her puppies seem to be a bit darker than her sisters, but who knows what the next littler will bring.
Moyen Poodle “PopTart” was bred by Top-notch breeder Joanne Heritsch at Awesome Paws in IL. PopTart’s dam is Joanne’s Black/Blue Merle Moyen Poodle “You Got The Look” (AKA “Unique”). Her sire is “Mr Paxton”. 

“SDP Nickers”
AKC#PR21441905 ; CKC#PD-05164506
Moyen / Klein Chocolate Merle Tuxedo Poodle
25 pounds ; 16 inches

Nickers with her first litter of puppies. You can see that several of the puppies also have the Merle coloring, but they are lighter than her sisters. I like the contrast with the white and prefer her puppies over PopTarts, but you never know what the next litter may look like. They are sisters, so they may have very similar litters on the next go around.
Moyen Poodle “Nickers” was also bred by Top-notch breeder Joanne Heritsch at Awesome Paws in IL. PopTart’s dam is Joanne’s Black/Blue Merle Moyen Poodle “You Got The Look” (AKA “Unique”). Her sire is “Mr Paxton”. 

Sire
Chocolate Cafe Tuxedo Havanese
AKC TS19480202 / CKC HA-04770767
15 pounds ; 9 inches

SDP Jolly Jeep is a very rare colored Chocolate Cafe Tuxedo Havanese. Both Nickers and PopTart are "married" to Jolly Jeep. They produce beautiful puppies. 


The lists are VERY long and some people have to wait for more than a year to get a puppy. We got on the list right after the quarantine started and before everyone decided they needed a puppy. We are number 6 in line for PopTart and number 4 for Nickers, so we will for sure have a puppy in the fall of 2020. Their lists now have more than 25 people each! 

Both Nickers and PopTart had litters in January 2020 and I was hoping they would be ready for another litter in July, but that didn't happen. The wait had been very long, but we know we have the right breeder, so it will be worth the wait in the end. 


PopTart's pregnancy was announced first with the litter due August 25th, 2020. 
Nicker's litter is due?? We hope to hear she is pregnant soon!  

Finally!! Let the countdown begin! 63 days and counting until we pick a puppy! 

Depending on how the breeder wants to do the selection process, we may be able to choose from both litters. The three people that are ahead of me on Nickers' list are also ahead of my on PopTarts list, so either way, I will move up as puppies are chosen. If PopTart doesn't quite have the color combo for a female, we will wait for Nickers' litter and be near the top of the list! 

Since Sunny Day Puppies is in Ohio, I'll be flying out to pick her up last week of October/first week of November, depending on which litter we choose from. Then hoping to have a week off of work to bond and train Michael on the process of housebreaking since he will be on potty patrol while I am at work the following week. I'm not super thrilled about potty training during the winter, but mother nature has decided that's when our puppy will come home, so we are rolling with it. 

Now that puppy is on the way, we had to make the decision of male vs. female. My favorite dogs have all been female, so we are sticking with the pattern and have settled on getting a female. 

The next thing to do is choose a name. I know final name selection will happen once we have her, but we've been going through every female dog name possible. The final contenders are: 
Olive, Hazel and my favorite, Henley. 

And now, we wait... 




August 25th, 2020
The day we've been waiting for. 
The puppies have been born and there are ELEVEN of them!! 
It took about two days to find out how many puppies there were and then to wait and see how many of each gender. 

We soon found out that there were 8 males and 3 females. This litter has more males than any of the litters I've seen from SDP in the last 6 months. Oh no!! We want a girl so bad. Being #6 in line is making me feel like we may not get our little girl. We will have to see what the process brings... 

Can there be any more cuteness!! So many spots! 

Beautiful females. The chocolate merle is first on my list, but the person in the first position chose her. A second female was chosen and now just the chocolate female towards the bottom is the only one left. I keep looking through all of the puppies that are remaining as those ahead of me on the list make their choices. And suddenly, it was my turn! The chocolate female is still available, I can't believe it. What's even more surprising is the adorable little merle boy that I can't stop looking at. 
Mary Lisa emailed me to tell me that my chocolate girl was mine! I quickly called her and told her that I just felt like I couldn't stop looking at this little boy and wanted to change my mind... 
She said I could! I chose baby boy #11. Who ever would have thought that I would choose a boy? 


This face. I just couldn't stop looking at him. He is mostly chocolate with white on each paw. The 50/50 white and chocolate face is so unique. I hope he maintains some of these colors. Many of these puppies lose their coloring and lighten drastically.
I feel compelled to choose an "H" name since it will rhyme with Hoodle/Havapoo/Havanoodle, etc.

It's official!!! Puppy #11 is ours. 
Once they reach about 6 weeks, he will be adorned with his blue collar. 

Let the name games begin. Michael and I went over so many names. He really got stuck on Hiro, which is a train from Thomas, but I just couldn't bring myself to choose that one. I will have this dog long after he is an adult, so I felt I needed to have a lot of input on the name. Ultimately, I got to choose.

We named him Hudson! 
Hudson Hornet from the CARS movie was the inspiration, but I just really like this name.
And it seems to fit him.

Little sleeping baby. So in love. 

With the flash of the camera, I can't quite tell how dark his chocolate coloring really is. 
Can't wait for the 2 week photos. 




Mary Lisa will post more pictures every 2 weeks. 


~2 week update photos~
Hudson is now 2 weeks old
Here's what's happening developmentally from 2-4 weeks...
Their eyes open, they stand and walk, their sense of smell and hearing develops, they wag their tail, teeth start coming in, and they’ll even start to bark. By the end of this period, they should be able to use the bathroom on their own and see quite well on their own.


My little sleeping baby boy.

I love that his chocolate color really seems to be getting a deeper brown.

His eyes look like they are almost open. 

Chubby belly. He is eating well! 
PopTart is a rockstar Mom! She is nursing ELEVEN puppies. 

Just hanging out with his brothers.

He's right in the middle. Looking like one of the bigger boys of the group. Yay! 

The whole gang with mama close by. She's being such a good Mom to all of these babies. 
Hudson is right in the center. 

~ 4 week update photos~
Hudson is now 4 weeks old
Mary Lisa, the breeder, posts update photos every 2 weeks and we sit on the edge of our seats waiting to drool over new photos. 
Can't stop staring at this adorable cute face! 
Here's where he is developmentally...
From four to six weeks, puppies continue to be influenced by their mother and litter mates. They learn to play, gaining needed social skills from litter mates, such as inhibited biting (biting to play, not to hurt). The puppies also learn the ins and outs of group structure and ranking within the group. Puppies become much more vocal during this period, with the appearance of play barking and growling.

That face! Cutest thing ever. 
 
He just seems so sweet and it really looks like he has blue eyes. 





~  Hudson's 6 week update photos~
He is now 6 weeks old and growing so fast! 
This will be the last photo update until we go on the 30th to Ohio and bring Hudson home on 10/31/2020. We can't wait to meet him. 
We are also excited to meet PopTart and Nicker's, who is currently pregnant with Henley. We will start this whole process all over again in November when Henley is born. Puppies galore!! 
Here's where Hudson is developmentally...
By week seven, you may be able to start house-training your puppy. From weeks 8 to 10, your pup will go through a normal “fear” period that can be helped with training that is positive and encouraging. But the true training “golden time” is from 9 to 12 weeks, because your pup is actively working on social skills and paying attention to both people and litter mates.

My favorite picture of them all. Such a sweet look. 








Giving his mama a big smooch! 
Love you Mom. 

We have 25 more days until we go to Ohio to bring Hudson home. 


Comments