Mow Strip - The do over

Mowstrip Do-over...

So I hired a contractor this time around. I've learned my lesson about cheap labor. You do sometimes get what you pay for. I'll save money where I can by doing most things by myself, but when I need something done that I can't do, I need to hire a professional. An actual professional. Like a licensed contractor who specializes in what I need. Ok, ok. lesson learned....

I've hired Rick Campbell Custom Concrete. He was a referral from a friend on my SAR team. He came over and I told him the saga of the first mow strip and he agreed, it was awful. He was booked solid for the next month, but as luck would have it, they had a cancellation a few days later for the demo and framing. I'll take it! 

They arrived early in the morning to beat the heat, although it's only set to be about 90 today. 
They had the mow strip chunked up in about 15 minutes. Seriously? This was so easy. Had I known, I'd have taken it out myself. 

On guy lifted up with a pick and the other whacked it with a sledge and boom, it just cracks and falls apart in chunks. The sections weren't very heavy and they quickly started getting it out of here. 
Good riddance. That thing was horrible. 

Wow. that just crumbled apart. 


As soon as the demo began, a few guys were already starting the framing. 

Rick kept a watchful eye on how everything was being done. I'm happy with him and his crew so far, they are just jumping on it and getting everything installed how I wanted it. 

In less than an hour, the mow strip is out and most of the framing is already in. The pour will happen in a few days since I'm being squeezed in between other jobs. I'm liking how it's looking. 

By 9:30 it's all framed and ready for concrete. I will have to be patient now until they get a break between other jobs. Yard fit on hold for now... I'm sure I can find some other things to do until then. 


The planter box is all squared up and ready to go too. They have a piece of rebar going down the middle of the strip this time around too. All around, a much better job. Can't wait for the finished product. 

Pour day! My contractor had a break on a Friday morning and was here bright and early because it's so hot. They poured this before I even had to leave for work. Looking good so far! 



The finished product. Brushed and laser straight!! 

The turns even look great! 

I'm super happy with how it all turned out. Though about making this a kidney shape, but decided to just keep it simple. 

The kickoff on the end is a planter box. Will be filling this full of flowers. Can't wait! Now I need about 25 yards of dirt and top soil to get this ready for sod. Also have to move all of the sprinklers since I changed the footprint of the lawn. More work to be done, but this mow strip project is finally done and looks great. It really does matter who you hire and you get what you pay for. Lesson learned.... the hard way. 

Comments