Search and Rescue - EDSAR Helicopter Training

Everyone loves to play with helicopters! Our search and rescue team occasionally has to be ready to assist CHP and EDSAR with a rescue hoist. Today's training was with CHP and Calstar in South Lake Tahoe at Baker Beach. Chris dropped me off and went to go and hang out for a few hours while I played with helicopters. During our initial briefing, Deputy Greg Almos asked me if I wanted to get picked out of the lake. Seriously? YES!! 

So, he gave me a dry suit to wear. I think it was the XXL version, I was swimming in it. But better that than swimming in the lake, freezing. 

My stylish eyewear. Safety first!

Getting instructions for the training. Of course, I'm taking pictures. 

CalStar was also on hand so we could check out their operation and see the helo. It was much smaller inside than I expected. They really operate in a tiny space with a patient on board. 



Cal Star in flight

As you can see from these clouds, we are up against weather. It's rolling in quickly. We have to get this training going before it gets too close or I'll never get hoisted out of the lake. Come on people, hurry!! haha

Everyone got a little bit of practice getting things rigged for hoisting. 

And the CHP officers talked to us a bit about the procedures and equipment. 

This is the FLIR camera. Very cool stuff. 
HD - Infra red camera. I've seen the images this takes while we are on searches. It's amazing the quality and detail they can capture from up high. 

Deputy Greg Almost talking us through the next part. The water rescue. 

Part of my SAR family getting instructions on the next portion of the training. 

And that's ME!! I'm getting hoisted out of the lake with a horse collar. OMG, that was so fun. 

I took a short ride to the LZ and arrived safely back on the ground. Now that's how I want to participate in trainings. Again, again! 

Carol demonstrated how to wear the screamer suit. 

All in all, that was a super fun day of training. I get to do things with this team I never thought I'd get to do. I really enjoy everyone on the team and getting to learn and do new experiences all the time. Never a dull moment. 
SaveSave

Comments